A Trick-Taking Dice Game for Two Players
- 2 Players
- 15-20 minutes
- Designed by Jacques Boulet
- Available to buy print-on-demand from The Game Crafter website
Pen & Sword is a quick-playing, easy-to-learn dice game for two players. Players begin each round by rolling their set of 10 dice behind their screen. They then play through 9 tricks until only one die is left. Games generally consist of 3 rounds. The first player to 14 points wins.
Tricks are won by the highest number of symbols. Ties are resolved according to one of two rock-paper-scissor-type hierarchies of colour and symbol. The green die beats all the others. In the case of identical dice, a challenge is triggered and players play additional dice until someone is a clear victor in a winner takes all scenario.
The rules also include a bidding variant for experienced players. One advantage of this variant is that it allows players to score even with low rolls.
In order to reduce the cost of the game no printed rules come in the box. Please refer to the downloads section below for the rule manual and for the sticker instructions.
Production and shipping is handled by The Game Crafter, a company based in Wisconsin. Because this game is produced print-on-demand, please note the following:
- Purchases are added to the print queue and shipped when ready.
- Production costs are higher than for mass produced games. Most of the listed price goes toward production, and a small amount goes to me.
- Shipping costs are in addition to the listed price.
- Listed price is in US dollars.